About New Settlement and Community Food Action
New Settlement Apartments is a settlement house based in the Mt. Eden community of the Southwest Bronx, with a 30-year demonstrated commitment to increasing preparedness and access to safe and affordable housing, high-quality public and post-secondary education, expanding opportunities for healthy and active living, and fair employment. Grounded in its commitment to affordable housing and a thriving neighborhood, New Settlement Apartments collaborates with community residents and develops partnerships to create services and opportunities that celebrate the inherent dignity and potential of individuals and families.
Community Food Action’s vision is an alternative food system, by and for communities, that nourishes the people and supports community development, climate protection efforts, and quality of life. We embed hands-on food education into local institutions, develop community leadership, and create opportunities to grow, purchase, eat and compost good food.
Schedule and Rate of Pay
Part-time Spring and Fall (14-21 hours/week) and Full-time Summer (35 hours/week)
The Coordinator is expected to start in May.
This temporary and paid position fluctuates according to work load and the season – it is not year-round. The 170 Farm Stand coincides with the regional growing season (July – November). The Youth Leaders program operates at its peak during July and August and is periodic during the fall. Some evenings and weekends are required, including Farm Stand day (Wednesdays) until 7:30pm.
The pay rate for this position starts at $19/hour.
- The 170 Farm Stand is safe for staff and customers, is set up according to high standards and regulations, and operates according to schedule. The Farm Stand meets goals on sales, number of customers, revenue, and outcomes.
- 170 Farm Stand team is cultivated through meaningful work, learning, and leadership development. The Youth Leaders provide excellent customer service and create an inclusive, welcoming public space.
- Ten emerging leaders are engaged in personal and social change through the avenue of food.
- Activities are tracked and success is monitored to ensure that projected outputs and outcomes are achieved; adjust accordingly.
- Community members and partners are engaged through outreach and communication so that they know our work and how to connect with it.
- Carry out administrative tasks and procedures. Contribute to the ongoing development of the program and team.
Experience and Education
- Experience working in or engaging with a low- or moderate-income, diverse, community-based setting required
- One to three years’ experience working with high school aged youth in formal settings required, preferably facilitating lesson plans and/or supervising employment
- Community engagement experience from, for example, facilitating workshops, surveying/canvassing individuals, community organizing, or street outreach, is preferred
- Undergraduate coursework or degree in relevant field a plus
- Demonstrated expertise in positive youth development
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaker strongly preferred
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and ability to work well with a wide variety of individuals, including youth and seniors, especially in a public setting
- Committed to principals of racial, social, and economic justice
- Knowledge of or enthusiasm about food issues as related to healthy living and restoring food sovereignty to communities strongly preferred; personal experience facing the negative aspects of the food system
- Understanding, enthusiasm about, and ability to communicate the benefits of seasonal eating for personal health, environmental justice, and society
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational ability required
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, problem solve and be flexible
- Bronx or Upper Manhattan native or resident a plus
- Physical Requirements: The position requires working outdoors in all weather conditions, standing and walking for extended periods, and carrying heavy and bulky items
- Intermediate computer skills including Microsoft Office and web-based applications
How to Apply
Please send a PDF of your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Youth & Farm Stand Coordinator Application: Your last name”