JOB SUMMARY: Based in the Taft Educational Campus, this full-time college and career advisor under the direction of the Director, Student Success Center will be responsible for:
Job Duties include but not limited to:
- Operate a full-service college and career advising office for students and families (including one-to-one college advising, college fairs, college-awareness workshops, college trips, Family Nights, collaborative events, etc.)
- Lead the development and implementation of a coordinated, multi-year program of individual counseling, group workshops and leadership training that is designed to support college awareness, access and success of high-school students
- Supervise 2 youth leaders and a college bridge coach
- Collaborate with school administrators and staff on an ongoing basis to ensure program participation and success, including attendance at all relevant school meetings.
- Build partnerships with diverse educational institutions and organizations
- Maintain records on students’ involvement in the program and their progress toward educational goals
- Maintain and disseminate information about standardized tests such as SAT/Subject Tests, ACT, and PSAT.
- Stay current on the latest trends in college access and success.
- Demonstrate commitment to leadership development, community building, and community organizing as strategies for social change
- Other duties as requested
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- B.A., B.S. Required
- Bilingual Preferred
- Previous experience in community-based youth work, education and/or social work with a commitment to youth development and college access
- Strong commitment to strengthening a program and an environment that supports the academic achievement and access to higher education of youth who will be the first in their families to attend college.
- Familiarity with NYC public schools
- Candidates must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to be considered for employment. Proof of vaccination is required upon hiring. Applicants may seek medical or religious exemption from this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- The ability to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- The ability to frequently sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to utilize office equipment such as desktop/notebook computers, copiers, printers, scanners, telephones, and calculators.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Employment is at will and employees will undergo 45- and 90-day check-ins during their 90-day probationary period.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that the duties and responsibilities listed are the only tasks to be performed by the employee in this job. The employee will be required to follow other instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.
New Settlement is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions expected of an employee. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of you as an employee. You may be asked to perform other duties as required.
$55,000.00 – $58,000.00 per year
School Based College and Career Advisor
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.