JOB SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Aquatics Director and Assistant Aquatics Director, maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals and promotes safety in accordance with NSCC mission, vision, policies, and procedures. Builds positive relationships with members and program participants through effective listening and verbal skills and creatively find ways to connect them to one another and the community.
Job Duties include but not limited to:
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool area, checking for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Knows and reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with NSCC policies, and procedures; completes related reports as required.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies, and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the NSCC and/or the state health department code.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Cleaning up pool equipment at the end of shifts as well as cleaning up spills or messes left by community.
- Properly clean and reconstruct the pool vacuum when instructed by shift supervisor or Aquatics Director.
- Work a flexible schedule that may include holidays and weekends as required by business needs and as requested by management.
- Able to switch to the role of a Water Safety Instructor, if requested. (Only if also employed as a WSI).
- Identifies and celebrates the successes of members and program participants.
- Attends all staff meetings and in-services.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Current Lifeguard or equivalent with two years’ experience.
- Basic life support or professional rescuer CPR/AED, first aid, and emergency oxygen administration certification, American Red Cross preferred.
- Child abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
- Ability to maintain certification-level physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with NSCC standards.
- Two years lifeguarding experience.
- Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR, AED Certified (American Red Cross Preferred).
- Job Type: Part-time
- Work authorization: United States (Required)
Candidates must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to be considered for employment. Proof of vaccination is required upon hiring. Applicants may seek medical or religious exemption from this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands/working environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- The ability to physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility.
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- See and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to utilize office equipment such as desktop/notebook computers, copiers, printers, scanners, telephones, and calculators.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Employment is at will and employees will undergo 45- and 90-day check-ins during their 90-day probationary period.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that the duties and responsibilities listed are the only tasks to be performed by the employee in this job. The employee will be required to follow other instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.
New Settlement is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions expected of an employee. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of you as an employee. You may be asked to perform other duties as required.
$17.00 – $19.00 per hour
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.