New Settlement YouthBuild serves young adults between the ages of 17.5 to 24, who face barriers to education and employment. New Settlement YouthBuild is a full time program that operates year round and offers three vocational training skills components:
- Construction and Carpentry Skills training that offer industry recognized credentials such as the OSHA 30hr safety certificate and the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER). Hands-on training is provided in our full equiped construction lab and hands-on real world work experience renovating and rehabilitating apartments.
- Healthcare career training that offer certificates or certifications for positions that work directly with patients or prepare for clerical or administration positions in small to mid-sized medical offices and centers and hospitals and short and long term care facilities.
- Customer Service and Hospitality Training. This training pathways focuses on the ManageFirst credential and will provide the foundational skills needed to excel in a customer facing position in a variety of industries or sectors.
In addition, New Settlement YouthBuild students are engaged in:
- An extensive Leadership Development curriculum that follows the YouthBuild USA Core Competencies standards for what is needed to be successful at work in their personal lives. Some of the topices covered included, Healthy Communication Skills, Self-awareness, Conflict Resolution, Time Management, Organization Skills and Financial Literacy, etc.
- Job Readiness training that includes hands-on workshops and role-playing. These workshops are designed to give a young adult insight to how to land their first job and how to keep a job. Students learned how to create a resume, conduct job searches, and lastly how to dress and talk on a job interview.
- Through a grant from L+M Development Group, 30 participants can train for, and receive certification for employment as building custodians and porters.
- Additional workshops including Healthy Relationships, Domestic Violence Awareness and Know Your Rights when engaging with law enforcement.
- Students also receive intensive case management and those in need of social services are referred to one or more of our community partners or agencies.
- Upon successfully completing the program, all participants are offered a year Retention and Support services.