On Martin Luther King Day of 2016, PAC released our report Restoring Justice to Our Schools: Community Research and Solutions to End School Pushout. Our report release was a big success, attended by over 150 parents, students, educators, and advocates. We were joined by Senator Gustavo Rivera, Assemblywoman Latoya Joyner, Council Member Vanessa Gibson, and representatives from Assemblyman Michael Blake’s office, who spoke in support of our report’s recommendations:
1. Invest in student and parent leadership in the implementation of restorative practices in place of punitive discipline
2. Provide targeted supports for at-risk students
3. Expand the traditional role of social workers in order to include a focus on youth development
4. Be transparent about how school budgetary resources are distributed
5. Use portfolio-based assessments to prepare students for college while reducing barriers to graduation
Read our full report online here!