JOB SUMMARY: New Settlement Community Center is seeking a Teen Advisor who will play a critical role in the successful operation of the Young Men’s program. The incumbent will monitor and aspects of programming: the leadership development, job & career readiness, community development, and outreach partnership development. In addition, the Teen Advisor will be responsible for advertising and recruiting participants, ensuring proper documentation, reporting reports, and meeting program goals.
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
- Ensure the health, safety, and well-being of participants in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities, and ensuring spaces are clean and supplies are well maintained.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Plan, create, and facilitate in-person lesson plans, skill-building activities, and recreation for the Young Men’s program.
- Manage administrative data entry in various systems including coordination of participant paperwork, conducting program surveys, and all other requirements outlined by City agencies and in New Settlement’s Standards and Program Charts of Work.
- Manage adolescent behavior with respect, maturity, compassion, and encouragement.
- Develop positive relationships with the participants, their friends and family members.
- Work cooperatively with professional staff and other departments.
- Create remote and in person environment that is diverse, culturally sensitive and relevant to the needs of teens.
- Assist in fund development endeavors for New Settlement Community Center.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, New Settlement, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events, as appropriate.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or equivalent required. College credits preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with pre-teens and teens (10 years and older).
- Have experience with and knowledge of youth development practices and group work
- Ensuring safety of program participants
- Have strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a team setting
- General knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Zoom/Google Classroom).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be available to work evenings, Monday through Friday.
- English and Spanish bilingual a plus
- Candidates must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to be considered for employment. Proof of vaccination is required upon hiring. Applicants may seek medical or religious exemption from this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- The ability to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- The ability to frequently sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to utilize office equipment such as desktop/notebook computers, copiers, printers, scanners, telephones, and calculators.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Employment is at will and employees will undergo 45- and 90-day check-ins during their 90-day probationary period.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that the duties and responsibilities listed are the only tasks to be performed by the employee in this job. The employee will be required to follow other instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.
New Settlement is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions expected of an employee. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of you as an employee. You may be asked to perform other duties as required.
$21.00 – $25.00 per hour
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
New Settlement Community Center, Bronx, NY