The program director is responsible for the leadership and management of a comprehensive after-school program for 150 children (grades 1-5), operating Monday through Friday, 2:50pm – 5:50pm during the school year. This position is full-time (35 hours a week) and year round.
- Participate in developing a program model, and lead a team to implement curricula that will nurture and encourage elementary school students to discover and develop their interests, skills and talents, by offering high quality youth-centered activities.
- Recruit, hire, train, and supervise the after school staff (group leaders, assistant group leaders, administrative assistant, teaching artists and/or activity specialists). Develop on-going professional development plans for staff.
- Recruit and enroll 150 students in the program for the 2016-2017 school year.
- Collaborate on a day-to-day basis with the school administration and teachers to support the effective integration of in-school and extended day learning goals.
- Conduct outreach to parents and build strong relationships with them and other community resources in order to enrich the experiences of students and their families in the program.
- Collect and maintain accurate and up-to-date attendance and program data; evaluate and asses program effectiveness; and submit all required reports.
- Ensure compliance with all safety policies and fulfill the New York State School-Aged Child Care licensing requirements of the New York State Office of Children and Family Services, Division of Child Care Services.
The program director reports to the Director of Community-School Partnerships at the New Settlement Community Campus.
PROGRAM OVERVIEW: In 2012, the Mount Eden Children’s Academy (MECA)/PS 555 opened its doors at the New Settlement Community Campus, located in the Mount Eden section of the Bronx. The new after school program will serve 150 children.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- A minimum two years of supervisory experience in relevant setting. MSW, MEd or other relevant advanced degree highly desirable.
- English/Spanish bilingual skills strongly preferred.
- Community-based youth development, elementary education and/or social work, with a focus on after school programming for youth and families;
- Excellent communication skills (including report writing) and computer literacy (including spreadsheet, word processing and communications technology).
- A commitment to community building through youth development and education in partnership with parents, educators and other stakeholders and partners.
- Successful teaching experience useful.
SALARY AND BENEFITS OFFERED: The salary for this year-round position is low- to mid-$50’s. New Settlement offers a comprehensive benefits package, including 401(k).
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, résumé and list of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should include “MECA After School Program Search,” or to attn.: MECA ASP Search, New Settlement Apartments, 1512 Townsend Ave., Bronx, NY 10452. EEO/AA
No phone calls please.