The program director is responsible for the leadership and management of a comprehensive community-based after-school program and summer day camp for 100 children (grades 1-5), operating Monday through Friday, 3:00pm – 6:00pm during the school year and 8:00am-6:00pm for seven weeks during the summer. This is a full-time (35 hours a week) and year-round position.
• Participate in developing a program model, and lead a team to implement curricula that will nurture and encourage elementary school students to discover and develop their interests, skills and talents, by offering high quality youth-centered activities.
• Recruit, hire, train, and supervise the after-school staff (group leaders, assistant group leaders, administrative assistant, teaching artists and/or activity specialists). Implement on-going professional development plans for staff.
• Recruit and enroll 100 students in the program both for the school year and the summer.
• Conduct outreach to parents and build strong relationships with them and other community resources in order to enrich the experiences of students and their families in the program.
• Collect and maintain accurate and up-to-date attendance and program data; evaluate and assess program effectiveness; and submit all required reports.
• Ensure compliance with all safety policies and fulfill the New York State School-Aged Child Care licensing requirements of the New York State Office of Children and Family Services, Division of Child Care Services.
The program director reports to the Executive Director.
PROGRAM OVERVIEW: More than 25 years ago the after-school program opened as the first of several now operated by New Settlement.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION & SKILLS REQUIRED:
• A minimum two years of supervisory experience in relevant setting. MSW, MEd or other relevant advanced degree desirable.
• English/Spanish bilingual skills strongly preferred.
• Community-based youth development, elementary education and/or social work, with a focus on after school programming for youth and families;
• Strong communication skills (including report writing) and computer literacy (including spreadsheet, word processing and communications technology).
• A commitment to community building through youth development and education in partnership with parents, educators and other stakeholders and partners.
• Successful teaching experience useful.
SALARY AND BENEFITS OFFERED: The salary for this year-round position is low- to mid-$50’s. New Settlement offers a comprehensive benefits package, including 401(k).
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, résumé and list of three professional references to ASPDirector@newsettlement.org. Subject line should include “MASP After School Program Search,” or to attn.: MASP Search, New Settlement Apartments, 1512 Townsend Ave., Bronx, NY 10452. EEO/AA
No phone calls please.all jobs