Program Overview: New Settlement Multicultural After School Program is for 100 Elementary School students (Kindergartner-Fifth grade). The Program offers activities such as literacy, math, science, engineering, cultural enrichment, leadership and community service, dance, healthy living, sports, library, arts and crafts, swimming, trips and much more.
Position Description: The Program Assistant works cooperatively with the full-time Program Director and seasonal program staff including Group Leaders, Assistant Group Leaders, Junior Assistants (Summer Youth Employee) and Teen Chef Interns. The Program Assistant is expected to attend staff orientations, professional development trainings, weekly staff meetings and help with special program celebrations and other events.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Monitor, create and update attendance sheets, sign-outs, contact lists and dismissal sheets.
- Assist with data collection and record keeping
- Inputting data into the program’s drive and DYCD
- Work closely with Program Director to design and coordinate service projects, educational workshops and trips.
- Assist with creating flyers and/or invitations for events
- Assist with keeping track of the program’s inventory
Outreach and Enrollment
- Monitor accuracy and completion of youth enrollment documents
- Work with Program Director to develop and maintain creative outreach strategies for the program
- Assist Program Director in creating and distributing outreach materials
- Assist in monitoring attendance
- Assist with registration
- Work closely with the Program Director, Group Leaders, Assistant Group Leaders and Junior Assistants to utilize curricula resources.
- Work closely with Program Director on program planning and development
- Assist with Behavior Management
- Assist Program Director with all compliance standards
- Supervise program staff when Program Director is offsite
- Assist in providing support for line staff in implementing activities related to STEM, Physical Education and Healthy Living, Literacy, Community Engagement & Leadership and Cultural Enrichment.
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Director
Youth Development and Crisis Management
- Monitor youth development and emotional wellness, through activities and observations in collaboration with the Program Director
- Carry out policies and procedures while maintaining a safe and positive-learning environment
- Assist in crisis intervention
- Help with conflict resolution as needed
Experience Required: Applicants must have experience working with youth. Knowledge of and interest in the arts, science, engineering, mathematics, healthy living and physical education required. Applicants must have experience developing and leading elementary-school level activities for children; have strong planning and organizational skills; team leadership, behavioral management, and conflict resolution skills. Teamwork, multi-tasking and hands-on teaching ability is a must.
Education & Skills Required: Bachelor’s or Associates Degree preferred plus two year professional work experience required. Bilingual Spanish/English a plus. In order to work with the children, applicants must undergo a background check, in accordance with local regulations. Must be a dynamic, flexible, upbeat, and hands-on individual. Excellent computer skills especially MS Office. Excellent written and oral skills required. The position requires great people skills and ability to meet competing demands in a busy work environment. Minimal physical effort generally required for work performance in office but moderate effort required periodically in the field; may be required to lift items and spend several hours standing and walking when out in the field.
Availability: Monday-Friday from 10:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. during the school year and 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. during the summer time. Starting date: Immediate opening.
Salary and Benefits Offered:
The position is a full-time position, 35 hours per week. Salary: $29,000- $34,000 depending on experience
Comprehensive benefits package:
- Paid time off package includes 10 vacation days, 6 sick days, 2 personal days, floating holiday, and major holidays.
- New Settlement also offers TransitCheck.
- 401(k) retirement plan after one year of employment
Send cover letter and resume to Anyela Duarte, After School Program Director,
New Settlement Apts., 1512 Townsend Avenue, Bronx, NY 10452.
Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered
No phone calls please.all jobs