About the Nutrition Educator Position:
Community Food Action seeks one highly organized, self-motivated, and outgoing individual to work as part of a team in the preparation and delivery of Farmers’ Markets for Kids at the 170 Farm Stand.
Responsibilities may include:
- Prepare for and implement four to six nutrition education sessions daily, to audience of children and parents
- Follow curriculum and ensure integrity of Farmers’ Markets for Kids programming
- Be knowledgeable about origins and uses of products at market; be able to communicate knowledge about the benefits of seasonal eating to participants and customers
- Ensure necessary materials are on site each week and prepare educational materials
- Carry out and ensure proper transport and set-up of tent, equipment, cooking supplies and educational materials
- Collect surveys for all workshop participants and complete all paperwork fully and accurately
- Attend monthly office hours to participate in check-ins with supervisor
- A minimum of 15 college credit hours in nutrition required
- Experience educating or engaging with a low-income community-based setting required
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaker strongly preferred
- Experience conducting nutrition workshops preferred, ideally with children and adults
- Experience conducting nutrition workshops at farmers markets a plus
- Knowledge of or enthusiasm about food issues as related to healthy living and restoring food sovereignty to communities strongly preferred
- Dynamic personality and excellent presentation, interpersonal and communications skills.
- Experience working as part of a team preferred
- ServSafe certification or successful completion of the NYC Food Protection course a plus
- Places value on cultural awareness in a multi-ethnic community
- Bronx or Upper Manhattan native or resident preferred
- Physical Requirements: The position requires working outdoors in all weather conditions, standing and walking for extended periods, and carrying heavy and bulky items
This paid position is part-time and seasonal to coincide with the regional growing season (July – October). The position will start with two training days in June, with weekly hours beginning in July and ending in late October. The Lead Educator will work 9 hours per week during the 16-week Farmers’ Market for Kids season. The Farm Stand’s hours of operation are Wednesdays from 2:30 to 6:30pm.
How to Apply
The pay rate for this position starts at $18/hour.
Please send a pdf of your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Nutrition Educator Application: YOUR LAST NAME”. EEO/AAall jobs