DESCRIPTION OF BRONX HELPERS PROGRAM: With the motto, “Working for the Community to Better Our Lives,” the Bronx Helpers program provides 60 youth (6th-8th graders) summer and after-school programming that supports leadership development, civic engagement and community service. Bronx Helpers identify and learn about issues affecting our community and participate in service projects that contribute to positive change. Program themes have included “Pedestrian Safety”, “Environmental Justice” and “Promoting Good Nutrition and Fighting Hunger.”
POSITION DESCRIPTION: SONYC (School’s Out NYC) is DYCD’s expansion and re-branding of its middle school afterschool programs formerly known as Out-of-School Time (OST). The program is open to 6th – 8th graders, and runs from 2:30-5:45 p.m. on Mondays – Fridays September 12th -June 21st Participants choose to participate in activities in areas such as physical education, STEM, Literacy, art, and leadership.
REQUIREMENTS: This position requires enthusiastic, self-motivated, creative, resourceful individuals who learn quickly. All applicants should possess an ability to work independently and as part of a team, as well as a commitment to serving at-risk adolescents and their families. Applicants should also possess a willingness to engage in all aspects of job description. Responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Assist in supervision of program, as well as providing smooth instructions of all activities
- Facilitate activities such as team building games, community awareness projects, academic support, arts & crafts etc.
- Monitor the needs of the program while working closely with the Group Leader & Program Aid
- Provide group workshops for students which focus on leadership, service project planning, literacy and STEM.
- Maintain accurate and up to date records, and logs and input into online attendance database
- Monitor participants progress w/in home, school and program environment
- Communicate regularly with program participants and parents through phone contacts, meetings and written correspondence
- Experience preferred in one or more of the following areas: outdoor adventure, community service, team building, music, drama, and S.T.E.M.
- Previous experience working with adolescents in a community-based setting, using a positive youth-development model with focus on student-centered learning.
- Previous experience with and commitment to exploring social justice issues with youth.
- Comfortable assisting STEAM activities (Science/Tech/ Engineering/ Art/Math)
- Minimum of 1 year of Youth Development experience is required
- Experience working in an after school/ summer program is a plus
- High School Diploma: Currently enrolled in College or post-secondary institution
- Strong work ethic and highly motivated
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong communication (oral and written) skills. Highly organized and detail oriented
- Must be flexible and goal-oriented
- Must be empathic, patient, understanding, and a good listener
- Bilingual Spanish/English a plus.
- Minimum of High school diploma/GED; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Must have 1 year of previous experience working with groups of children or youth in an educational or recreational setting
- Must complete and pass background checks and be fingerprinted for DOH and SCR
- If hired, applicants must complete free NYS Mandated Reporter training in Child Abuse Identification and Reporting
- If hired, applicants are required to attend professional development workshops prior to beginning work throughout the school year
Must be available to work Monday – Friday, 2:30pm – 6:00pm, and occasionally on weekends
COMPENSATION: $13.50 per hour effective January 1st $15 per hour
TO APPLY, please send cover letter and résumé to:
Bronx Helpers Program Director, New Settlement Apartments, 1512 Townsend Avenue, Bronx, NY 10452, Snail and Email: email@example.com. EEO/AA