JOB SUMMARY: Reporting to the Program Director, the Group Leader teaches, nurtures and encourages a group of about 20-25 students in the elementary school by being a positive role model.
Job Duties include but not limited to:
- Understand, adhere, and enforce school program expectations, policies, and protocols as laid out by New Settlement.
- Sets a positive tone with students.
- Assists the Activity Specialist with providing quality hands-on activities.
- Ensuring the safety of students at all times.
- Anticipates and resolves conflict.
- Reports any and all incidents accurately and timely.
- Supervises mealtime.
- Assists with homework and maintaining the overall condition of the classroom.
- Collaborating with after school staff and teachers
- Interacting positively with parents at dismissal.
- Required to participate in staff meetings and trainings.
- Other duties or special projects as assigned by Program Director.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or GED; some college preferred.
- Minimum of one-year experience working with school age children preferably in an educational setting (school or after-school program).
- Experience assisting with quality activities; ensuring safety of program participants,
- Knowledge of youth development practices,
- Must be sensitive to diverse cultures,
- Possess strong planning and organizational skills;
- Ability to work in a team setting.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) a plus.
- Must possess the ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Must be cleared and maintain clearance throughout duration of employment by NYS DOH and DOE fingerprinting screening, NYS Central Registrar Background Check, 3 Reference checks, Staff Exclusion List (SEL), and must provide a physical examination with updated TB test.
- Candidates must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to be considered for employment. Proof of vaccination is required upon hiring. Applicants may seek medical or religious exemption from this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- The ability to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- The ability to frequently sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to utilize office equipment such as desktop/notebook computers, copiers, printers, scanners, telephones, and calculators.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Employment is at will and employees will undergo 45- and 90-day check-ins during their 90-day probationary period.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that the duties and responsibilities listed are the only tasks to be performed by the employee in this job. The employee will be required to follow other instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.
New Settlement is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions expected of an employee. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of you as an employee. You may be asked to perform other duties as required.
$15.00 – $17.00 per hour
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.all jobs