DESCRIPTION OF THE CREATIVE LEADERS AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM:
Is a youth-centered, school-based program providing leadership, arts, STEM and healthy living activities to middle school students at CMSP 327, a 6th-12th grade school located in the Bronx. In addition, we offer an array of clubs and free choice activities aimed at providing students with social, emotional and cognitive growth.
CLASP collaborates with school teachers and administration to deliver teacher-led tutoring and homework help groups. The program is funded by the Department of Youth and Community Development as a SONYC program (School’s Out NYC).
During the school year the part-time Group Leader works a minimum of 18 hours a week, Mon-Fri 2:30-6pm and is responsible for:
• Implement youth-centered activities including Girls and Boys clubs and assists with the implementation of activities led by professional facilitators, consultants and program partners
• Supervise the safety and engagement of program participants
• Serve as a positive role model to the school population and uphold professionalism at all times; build positive relationships with participants, program staff and school staff. Enforces progressive behavior policies while building-up our youth
• Guides students through daily routines and establish order during school dismissal, program transitions, meal time and after-school dismissal
• Actively participate in activities alongside participants in order to encourage persistence and risk-taking
• Upkeep program spaces, classrooms used and maintain order in program closet and designated materials area
• Complete all necessary documentation daily and as required: attendance, sign out sheets, session logs, cafeteria rosters and classroom check-lists
• lesson plan for engaging activities that support the growth of the whole child
• Chaperones field trips during and out of regular work hours including some evenings and weekends. Help staff special program celebrations and weekend events
1+ years of experience working with activity-based, educational lesson plans
1+ years of experience working with middle school aged children in a school or community based setting (baby sitting or having young relatives in the family does not fully fulfill this qualification)
The position requires a creative, energetic person who is eager to be a part of a team and is genuinely interested in working with youth
Must get fingerprinted by the Department of Education, Department of Health and background check upon position offer
Must be able to attend professional development sessions through- out the school year as mandated by the program funder, DYCD
Graduate or undergraduate students preferred. Bilingual Spanish/English and experience working in a school setting is a plus.
COMPENSATION $17/ hour
TO APPLY, please send cover letter and résumé to the Creative Leaders Program Director, New Settlement Apartments. Email CJ.Hernandez@newsettlement.org . Subject: “Group Leader”
Mail address: 1512 Townsend Avenue, Bronx, NY 10452. Fax: 718-294-4085. EEO/AA