About the Culinary Educator Position:
Community Food Action seeks one highly organized, self-motivated, and outgoing individual to work as part of a team in the preparation and delivery of Farmers’ Markets for Kids at the 170 Farm Stand.
Responsibilities may include:
• Collaborate with Educators to prepare for and implement interactive four to six cooking demonstrations to children and families each Farm Stand day. **Due to COVID-19, educators will be required to move workshops online, producing at least one weekly video in conjunction with the Cooking & Gardening Coordinator.
• Follow curriculum and ensure integrity of Farmers’ Markets for Kids programming
• Be knowledgeable about origins and uses of products sold at the 170 farms stand; be able to communicate knowledge about the benefits of seasonal eating to participants and customers
• Carry out and ensure proper transport and set-up of tent, equipment, cooking supplies and educational materials
• Market and promote FMK and the 170 Farm Stand to ensure minimum required level of participation is achieved
• Maintain food safety, including cleaning and sanitation of all cooking equipment used in cooking demonstrations
• Ensure necessary cooking materials are on site each week and purchase food
• Collect surveys for all workshop participants and complete all paperwork fully and accurately
• Attending monthly office hours to participate in check-ins with supervisor
• Basic knife skills and ability to execute basic cooking techniques required
• Bilingual English/Spanish speaker strongly preferred
• Experience educating or engaging with a low-income community-based setting required
• Experience or training in nutrition, culinary arts, or cooking in public setting preferred
• Experience conducting nutrition workshops at farmers markets a plus
• Dynamic personality and excellent presentation, interpersonal and communications skills
• Ability to work well with a wide variety of individuals, especially children
• Knowledge of, and enthusiasm about, food issues as related to healthy living and restoring food sovereignty to communities strongly preferred
• Experience working as part of a team
• ServSafe certification or successful completion of the NYC Food Protection course
• Places value on cultural awareness in a multi-ethnic community. Ability to adapt recipes to the community served by the 170 Farm Stand
• Bronx or Upper Manhattan native or resident preferred
• Physical Requirements: The position requires working outdoors in all weather conditions, standing and walking for extended periods, and carrying heavy and bulky items
This paid position is part-time and seasonal to coincide with the regional growing season (July – October 2020). The position will start with two training days in July, with weekly hours beginning in late July and ending in late October. The Culinary Educator will work 8 hours per week during the 16-week Farmers’ Market for Kids season. The Farm Stand’s hours of operation are Wednesdays from 2:30 to 6:30pm.
How to Apply
The pay rate for this position starts at $16/hour. Tentative start date is August 12th, 2020.
Please send a pdf of your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Culinary Educator Application: YOUR LAST NAME”. EEO/AAall jobs