About the Culinary Educator Position:
Community Food Action seeks one highly organized, self-motivated, and outgoing individual to work as part of a team in the preparation and delivery of Farmers’ Markets for Kids at the 170 Farm Stand.
Responsibilities may include:
- Collaborate with Educators to prepare for and implement interactive four to six cooking demonstrations to children and families each Farm Stand day.
- Follow curriculum and ensure integrity of Farmers’ Markets for Kids programming
- Be knowledgeable about origins and uses of products at market; be able to communicate knowledge about the benefits of seasonal eating to participants and customers
- Carry out and ensure proper transport and set-up of tent, equipment, cooking supplies and educational materials
- Market and promote FMK and the 170 Farm Stand to ensure minimum required level of participation is achieved
- Maintain food safety, including cleaning and sanitation of all cooking equipment used in cooking demonstrations
- Ensure necessary cooking materials are on site each week and purchase food
- Collect surveys for all workshop participants and complete all paperwork fully and accurately
- Attending monthly office hours to participate in check-ins with supervisor
- Basic knife skills and ability to execute basic cooking techniques required
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaker strongly preferred
- Experience educating or engaging with a low-income community-based setting required
- Experience or training in nutrition, culinary arts, or cooking in public setting preferred
- Experience conducting nutrition workshops at farmers markets a plus
- Dynamic personality and excellent presentation, interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to work well with a wide variety of individuals, especially children
- Knowledge of or enthusiasm about food issues as related to healthy living and restoring food sovereignty to communities strongly preferred
- Experience working as part of a team preferred
- ServSafe certification or successful completion of the NYC Food Protection course
- Places value on cultural awareness in a multi-ethnic community. Ability to adapt recipes to the community served by the 170 Farm Stand preferred.
- Bronx or Upper Manhattan native or resident preferred
- Physical Requirements: The position requires working outdoors in all weather conditions, standing and walking for extended periods, and carrying heavy and bulky items
This paid position is part-time and seasonal to coincide with the regional growing season (July – October 2018). The position will start with two training days in June, with weekly hours beginning in July and ending in late October. The Culinary Educators will work 8 hours per week during the 16-week Farmers’ Market for Kids season. The Farm Stand’s hours of operation are Wednesdays from 2:30 to 6:30pm.
How to Apply
The pay rate for this position starts at $16/hour.
Please send a pdf of your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Culinary Educator Application: YOUR LAST NAME”. EEO/AAall jobs