The Construction Trainer will instruct, monitor, and facilitate the construction training for YouthBuild program participants. She/He will assist in the renovation and/or rehabilitation of affordable housing units and the on-site construction training of participants. The Construction Trainer will be expected to provide supportive guidance that encourages the development of the youth’s leadership skills.
1) In the absence of the construction manager, the construction trainer will be responsible overseeing the construction site, maintaining production safety, and managing inventory
2) Teach carpentry skills including demolition, rough framing, roofing, drywall, painting, and rough and finish carpentry to Youthbuild trainees
3) Teach the proper use and handling of all hand tool and power tools, and equipment.
4) Be responsible for overall safety enforcement
5) Inform supervisor of materials needs for job site and make recommendations as needed
6) Assist with the completion of job reports such as daily monitoring reports and weekly evaluations, tool checklist, job attendance and change orders as needed
7) Oversee the monitoring of students’ time on the construction site
8) Keep track of all tools and equipment used on the job on a daily basis
9) Assist in personal and vocational counseling and development of trainees’ leadership skills in conjunction with other Youthbuild staff
10) Help teach vocational education and provide real world work experience
11) Oversee the evaluation of student knowledge and skills in construction
12) Participate in community service projects
13) Attend case management meetings as required by supervisor
14) Attend all meetings and retreats as required
- Minimum of three years professional construction experience;
- Experience with vocational skills training in the construction skills trades for low-income, high-risk young adults.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package, including 401(k).
TO APPLY: Mail cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to Construction Trainer Search, New Settlement Apartments, 1512 Townsend Ave., Bronx, NY 10452 or email to: email@example.com. No faxes or phone calls, please. Applications will be reviewed as they are received; this position is available immediately. EEO/AA.