Reporting to the Director of the College Access Center delivers comprehensive advisement support services to the community regarding educational goals and evaluates academic options with them. Will be responsible for organizing events and facilitating meaningful workshops.
Job Duties include but not limited to:
- Advise college students in the areas of academic standing, major and course selection, financial aid concerns and requirements, adjustment to the college environment, balance of school and work, transfer to baccalaureate degree programs, college policies and procedures, graduation requirements, planning for post-college careers and continued development of independence.
- Build strong and authentic relationships with students attending various post-secondary institutions to provide them with personalized guidance and coaching on academic and non-academic issues that may prevent them from persisting through college.
- Develop and implement curricula for workshops and events focused on topics of relevance to first-generation college students, such as academic engagement and personal leadership.
- Build partnerships and effective relationships with college administrative, career services, financial aid, and other offices to advocate for students and assist them in reaching their goals.
- Track, evaluate and report on student and program performance for on-going program improvement and growth.
- Stay current on the latest trends in college access and success.
- Demonstrate commitment to leadership development, community building, and community organizing as strategies for social change
- Other duties as requested
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Strong commitment to strengthening a program and an environment that supports the academic achievement and access to higher education of youth and adults of low income, immigrants and others who will be the first in their families to attend college.
- Experience advising, mentoring, and/or counseling with young people of diverse backgrounds.
- Prior experience in higher education a plus.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a team.
- Valid NYS driver’s license, with at least two years driving preferred.
- Ability to travel to different college campuses in NYC.
$44,000 – $46,000
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
College Success Counselor
Cindy Concepcion, Magdelline Pimentel