JOB SUMMARY: The Pinkerton Summer Bridge Program was developed as an opportunity to address summer melt with college bound graduating seniors by providing them with employment at our New Settlement Summer Camp through SYEP, providing a CUNY summer course that will be 2 hours a week on site, and the opportunity to get certified in CPR and First Aid. The Persistence Coach will be a main pillar in supporting this new initiative that is part of our College Access and Success programs– they will work with New Settlement high school seniors, employers, and community partners to provide comprehensive support for our Pinkerton Summer Bridge Program. Persistence Coaches are an integral part of accomplishing the following goals:
1) Utilize near-peer mentoring to support students to complete the final milestones necessary to matriculate to college (ex. register for classes, finalize financial aid, etc.)
2) Facilitate workshops that prepare students for their transition from high school to college
3) Support the professor in the CUNY summer course by serving as a Teacher Assistant
Job Duties include but not limited to:
- Provide near-peer college and career counseling through1:1 advising and group sessions
- Talk to seniors about what to expect in college and other post-secondary pathways after high school
- Facilitate workshops related to how to prepare for their transition from high school to college
- Act as a Teaching Assistant for our CUNY summer course
- Assist students to complete enrollment paperwork, verify financial aid, enroll in support programs, register for classes and attend orientation
- Complete all necessary paperwork and data entry to ensure high quality counseling
- Serve as a constant positive representative of New Settlement and the Student Success Center
- Perform other duties as reasonably requested.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Work 25 hours per week
- Must be eligible to work in the US
- Alumni of NYC public high school (New Settlement Success Student preferred) or have HS Equivalency Diploma
- Freshman, Sophomore, or Junior in a CUNY college.
- Must be currently enrolled in college (minimum 2.0 GPA)
- Previous youth leadership or College Bridge Coach experience, preferred
- Must attend training sessions and must be available during the summer
- Must fill out SYEP Application, along with this application and select the provider we indicate at the time.
- Must be a motivated, responsible, and a hardworking team player
- Must be proficient in computer skills and email communication
- Bilingual a plus but not a requirement
- Ability to relate to persons of diverse backgrounds
Candidates must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to be considered for employment. Proof of vaccination is required upon hiring. Applicants may seek medical or religious exemption from this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Physical Conditions: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- The ability to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- The ability to frequently sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to utilize office equipment such as desktop/notebook computers, copiers, printers, scanners, telephones, and calculators.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that the duties and responsibilities listed are the only tasks to be performed by the employee in this job. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions. When duties and responsibilities change and develop the job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
New Settlement, Bronx, NY