Based in the Taft Educational Campus, this full-time college advisor will:
- Operate a full service college advising office for students and families (including one-to-one college advising, college fairs, college-awareness workshops, college trips, family nights, etc.)
- Lead the development and implementation of a coordinated, multi-year program of individual counseling, group workshops and leadership training that is designed to support college awareness, access and success of high-school students
- Collaborate with school administrators and staff on an ongoing basis to ensure program participation and success, including attendance at all relevant school meetings.
- Build partnerships with diverse educational institutions and organizations
- Maintain records on students’ involvement in the program and their progress toward educational goals
- Maintain and disseminate information about standardized tests such as SAT/Subject Tests, ACT, and PSAT.
- Stay current on the latest trends in college access and success.
- Demonstrate commitment to leadership development, community building, and community organizing as strategies for social change
- Other duties as requested
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A., B.S. required
- Bilingual Preferred
- Previous experience in community-based youth work, education and/or social work with a commitment to youth development and college access
- Strong commitment to strengthening a program and an environment that supports the academic achievement and access to higher education of youth who will be the first in their families to attend college.
- Familiarity with NYC public schools
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Annual salary range is, negotiable, depending on experience. New Settlement offers a comprehensive benefits package, including 401(k).
TO APPLY: Mail cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email subject line: “CAC College Advisor”. No faxes, please. Applications will be reviewed as they are received; this position is available immediately. EEO/AA.