PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: New Settlement Apartments’ College Access Center seeks a College Access Counselor. The Center provides one-to-one educational counseling services and targeted workshops focused on college options, in a community-based setting, to 1,400+ students each year. All programs are designed to assist neighborhood youth and young adults in overcoming barriers to higher education, staying on track through high school & taking the steps necessary to gain admission to college with financial aid.
POSITION DESCRIPTION The full-time access counselor will:
- Identify, encourage and assist a caseload of 60 – 75 students with information regarding education options beyond high school, including institutional choice, career options, admissions and financial aid.
- Maintain knowledge of CUNY, SUNY and private school admissions, SAT/ACT testing requirements, and FAFSA and TAP processes to assist students and families in making educated decisions about college.
- Develop and implement curricula for workshops and events focused on topics of relevance to first-generation college students.
- Organize and chaperone students on college visits or field trips related to the college admissions process.
- Build effective relationships with college administrative, career services, financial aid, and other offices to advocate for students and assist them in reaching their goals.
- Track, evaluate and report on student and program performance for on-going program improvement and growth.
- Stay current on the latest trends in college access and success.
- Demonstrate commitment to leadership development, community building, and community organizing as strategies for social change
- Other duties as requested
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- This is an entry level position, ideal for a recent college graduate. Bachelor’s degree required;
- Strong commitment to strengthening a program and an environment that supports the academic achievement and access to higher education of youth and adults of low income, immigrants and others who will be the first in their families to attend college;
- Experience advising, mentoring, and/or counseling young people of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a team.
- Experience counseling students on post-secondary education options, knowledge of U.S. higher education system, especially New York City and State, familiarity with financial aid and college application process, and/or experience networking and building organization relationships, a plus;
- Bilingual preferred
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Annual salary range is, negotiable, depending on experience. New Settlement offers a comprehensive benefits package, including 401(k).
TO APPLY: Mail cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email subject line: “CAC Ed Counselor.” No faxes, please. Applications will be reviewed as they are received; this position is available immediately. EEO/AA.all jobs