PROGRAM OVERVIEW: The Young Adult Opportunity Initiative is a positive intervention program for young adults, aged 17-24 (non-mandated), who are not in school and not employed and who live in the under-served southwest Bronx area surrounding New Settlement Apartments. The full-time Career Advisor/Job Training Facilitator will provide job development training and placement assistance to our young adult participants. This program will involve 135 young adults through intensive programming in 2018–2019 and is the core component of a growing matrix of New Settlement programs designed to support disconnected young adults in our community who are at high risk of involvement in the juvenile or criminal justice system in getting back on track toward healthy adulthood.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE CAREER ADVISOR/JOB TRAINING FACILITATOR
- Provide a professional and motivating atmosphere for participants to obtain employment opportunities through facilitating job readiness training, life-skills and job searching training workshops
- Facilitate work readiness and career improvement workshops including such topics as resume writing, interviewing skills, job search/career development
- Prepare training materials and facilitate group and individual sessions; assist participants with career readiness module based activities
- Dynamic facilitation skills in a learning environment and the ability to use multimedia effectively; must have experience applying participatory methods and ability to address multiple learning styles; experience with online content delivery a plus
- Assist participants in career planning and goal setting. Evaluate participant needs and interests by conducting assessments using relevant vocational/educational tests or surveys and generate comprehensive educational and employment histories.
- Develop and maintain relationships with employers across various industry sectors that will have career and internship opportunities for youth.
- Generate a career bank by contacting potential employers and vocational training centers.
- Provide job and internship follow-up
- Maintaining program and participant records.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION & SKILLS REQUIRED: College degree and at least 2 years of experience of successful workforce development and facilitation experience. Strong job counseling skills, verbal and written communication, and organizational skills. Ability to take initiative, manages multiple projects, and work collaboratively in a team environment. Commitment to create a welcoming program environment and culture where youth are held accountable to meet high expectations and supported in doing so through positive, educational interventions and structured, holistic programming. HOURS: Monday-Friday, 9-5 pm.
SALARY AND BENEFITS OFFERED: Salary range: Mid-$40,000s, negotiable, DOE. New Settlement offers a comprehensive benefits package, including 401(k).
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, résumé to < firstname.lastname@example.org>, subject: “YAOI CAREER ADVISOR/FACILITATOR Search,” . No faxes, please. Applications will be viewed as they are received; this position is available immediately. EEO/AA.all jobs