The New Settlement Community Center, opened in 2012, offers a range of programs including dance, yoga, mixed martial arts, music, swimming and more to 12,000 members and others who take individual classes. All classes are either low cost, or free and serve community members 6 months old to seniors.
The Community Center houses an indoor competition-size swimming pool, dance studio, green roof learning garden, cooking classroom and multipurpose spaces. Located in the Mt. Eden section of the Southwest Bronx, the Community Center is built upon more than thirty years of work at New Settlement Apartments to revitalize this once abandoned neighborhood with 2,000 units of quality affordable housing and a range of programs that have strengthened social and academic outcomes for a generation of young people.
Position: Aquatics Director
Department: Aquatics Center
Reports to: Center Director
- Recruiting, interviewing, training, developing, scheduling, leading and managing the aquatics staff.
- Monitors daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local health and safety regulations.
- Ensure all scheduled shifts are properly covered. Substitute, instruct, and assist in all aspects of aquatics programming and lifeguarding as needed.
- Plan and ensure effective delivery of lifeguard and water safety certification and training programs to staff and the community to provide high quality aquatic programming.. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
- Help ensure that the pool is fully utilized so that pool schedules complement each other and maximize member benefit.
- Ensure all aquatic class registrations are organized and accurate. Respond to all member and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or college.
- Current Instructor certifications: American Red Cross Lifeguard and Water Safety Instruction Certification, Life Guard Instructor (Preferred but not required), First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor.
- Must have or be willing to obtain Pool Operator Certification within six weeks. .
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a leadership role that includes supervision.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience teaching swim lessons to all age groups and levels. 2 years’ experience teaching swimming to special needs populations.
- Physical demands include sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of the position and to supervise aquatic activities.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Annual salary range is negotiable, depending on experience. New Settlement offers a comprehensive benefits package, including 401(k).
TO APPLY: Mail cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email subject line: “Aquatics Director”. No faxes, please. Applications will be reviewed as they are received; this position is available immediately. EEO/AA.